The User Research Center at Harvard Library (URC) is available on a limited basis to anyone from the Harvard University community needing to perform usability, accessibility, or eye-tracking testing. We are located on Level A of Lamont Library, a few steps away from the Lamont Café.
The URC is made up of three main areas and supports one-on-one usability testing or larger scale testing with multiple observers, as well as several Windows and macOS workstations where staff can practice using the software on their own.
- Our participant room can be used for usability, accessibility, mobile, and eye-tracking tests.
- Our conference room seats up to 10 and is available for test observation, staff training, user interviews, or other collaborative UX activities.
- Our reception and waiting area for study participants can also be used for small-scale studies using methods like micro-feedback or tablet/paper-based surveys.
Please note: We do not accept walk-in appointments. All appointments must be booked through our lab booking form. More information can be found on our Book the Lab for Testing section.
The following software is installed on a variety of laptop and desktop computers in the User Research Center:
- Morae Recorder, Observer, and Manager for usability testing (Windows)
- Silverback for usability testing (macOS)
- JAWS for screen reading testing (Windows)
- NVDA for screen reading testing (Windows)
- Kurzweil 1000 for screen reading testing (Windows)
- VoiceOver for screen reader testing (macOS)
- ZoomText for screen magnification and screen reading (Windows)
- Tobii Studio and Tobii Pro Lab for eye-tracking (Windows)
- Camtasia for creating video tutorials (Windows)
Adobe Creative Cloud
- After Effects
- Flash Professional
- Adobe Captivate 8
- Ladibug software for Lumens DC-125 document camera for Windows/macOS
- Tableau Reader for interacting with Tableau reports
Portable equipment, such as laptops (Windows/macOS), tablets (iOS/Android), eye-tracking devices, camcorders, and voice recorders, are also available. All software is available on in-lab and portable computers.
The URC will provide basic instructions on how to use the equipment and software. Study design and research integrity are the responsibility of the researcher.
We are open during normal business hours: 9:00 AM–5:00 PM, Monday–Friday. Use of the lab is by appointment only. We do not accept walk-in lab usage or equipment rentals.