The User Research Center at Harvard Library is available on a limited basis to anyone from the Harvard community needing to perform usability, accessibility, or eye-tracking testing. We are located on Level A of Lamont Library, a few steps away from the Lamont Café which serves as a great place to do in-person recruiting for studies because of the high foot traffic.
The Center is made up of three main areas and supports one-on-one usability testing or larger scale testing with multiple observers, as well as several Windows and Mac workstations where staff can practice using the software on their own.
- Our participant room can be used for usability, accessibility, mobile, and eye-tracking tests.
- Our conference room seats up to 10 and is available for test observation, staff training, user interviews, or other collaborative UX activities. If you have a larger group that wants to observe a usability test in real-time, the B30-A conference room on Lamont Level B can also be booked.
- Our reception and waiting area for study participants can also be used for small-scale studies using methods like micro-feedback or tablet/paper-based surveys.
The following software is installed on a variety of laptop and desktop computers in the User Research Center:
- Morae Recorder, Observer, and Manager for usability testing (Windows)
- Silverback for recording basic usability tests (Mac)
- JAWS for screen reading testing (Windows)
- Tobii Studio for eye-tracking
- Camtasia for creating video tutorials
- Balsamiq for creating wireframes and mock-ups
- Adobe Creative Cloud
- After Effects
- Flash Professional
- Adobe Captivate 8
- Kurzweil 1000 for screen reading testing (Windows)
- NVDA for screen reading testing (Windows)
- ZoomText 11.0 for fully integrated magnification and screen reading (Windows)
Portable equipment, such as laptops, eye-trackers, camcorders, and voice recorders, is also available. All software is available on in-lab and portable computers.
The Center will provide basic instructions on how to use the equipment and software. Study design and research integrity are the responsibility of the researcher.
We are open during normal business hours: 9am-5pm, Monday-Friday. If you would like to explore the lab’s capabilities and equipment offerings, we invite you to set up a tour with us. Please contact email@example.com to coordinate a tour and discuss your project needs.