The User Research Center lab space is currently closed
The User Research Center lab space will be temporarily unavailable starting Monday, March 16th, 2020 until further notice. Please reach out to us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
Harvard University affiliates can book the User Research Center (URC) lab space for any UX or accessibility-related activities, including testing, interviews, and workshops. The lab is located on Level A of Lamont Library, a few steps away from the Lamont Café. View lab directions and hours.
The URC is made up of three main areas and supports one-on-one usability testing or larger scale testing with multiple observers, as well as several Windows and macOS workstations where staff can practice using the software on their own.
- Our participant room can be used for usability, accessibility, mobile, and eye-tracking tests.
- Our conference room seats up to 12 and is available for test observation, staff training, user interviews, or other collaborative UX activities.
- Our reception and waiting area for study participants can also be used for small-scale studies using methods like micro-feedback or tablet/paper-based surveys.
We recommend that you take a tour of the User Research Center before booking your test to view the space, equipment, and software offered by the lab. View upcoming tour dates for the URC.
We do not accept walk-in appointments. The lab must be booked in advance and is subject to URC staff approval. See information below about booking the lab for your project.
The following software is installed on computers in the User Research Center. All software is available on in-lab desktops and loanable laptops:
- Morae Recorder, Observer, and Manager for usability testing (Windows)
- JAWS for screen reader testing (Windows)
- NVDA for screen reader testing (Windows)
- VoiceOver for screen reader testing (macOS)
- ZoomText and Fusion for screen magnification and screen reading (Windows)
- Camtasia for creating video tutorials or editing videos (Windows/macOS)
Adobe Creative Cloud
- After Effects
- Ladibug software for Lumens DC-125 document camera for Windows/macOS
- Sketch for creating mock-ups (macOS)
- Balsamiq for creating mock-ups (Windows/macOS)
The following hardware is available in the URC lab space for testing:
- Dell Optiplex 7050 Windows 10 Desktop Computer (Usability/Accessibility Station)
- iMac macOS Mojave Desktop Computer (Mac Station)
- Lumens DC-125 Document Camera (Mac Station)
- Dell Optiplex 7050 Windows 10 Desktop Computer (Observation/Analysis Station)
- Epiphan Lumio Camera (Observation/Analysis Station)
Portable equipment, such as laptops (Windows/macOS), tablets (iOS/Android), camcorders, and voice recorders, are also available for in-lab use or equipment loan.
Book the Lab
The User Research Center lab space is temporarily unavailable starting Monday, March 16th, 2020 until further notice.
Please email email@example.com if you have any questions about booking the lab or want to know more about the space.