Staff may borrow any of the equipment listed below to support user testing activities in any Harvard library.
Some examples of when you might borrow equipment include when you want to:
- Perform user testing in a location other than the User Research Center in Lamont Library.
- Analyze tasks from a usability test, create recording clips, or review findings in your office or a local conference room.
- Set up a test about/in a certain space, such as conducting a micro-feedback survey in a space with a tablet, running a way-finding study with eye-tracking glasses, or conducting an observational study in your location.
- Conduct user interviews or record UX testing sessions in a space other than the User Research Center.
If you borrow a laptop and create documents, recordings, or any files, please be sure to save your files to an external disk before returning the computer. All computers will be wiped upon return. We have small flash drives you can keep or large portable hard drives (for larger files) that you can borrow.
Available Equipment to Borrow
- Audio recorders
- Camcorder & tripod
- Document camera
- Headsets w/microphone
- Laptops (either Dell with Morae & Camtasia or Macbook Air with Silverback & Quicktime)
- Mobile device - iPod Touch
- Portable chargers
- Portable hard drives
- Tablets – iPad Mini, iPad, and Android
- Tablet floor and desktop stands
- Tobii X260, portable eye tracker for screen-based studies (*in-lab use only)
- Tobii Glasses 2, eye tracker for in-person studies (*in-lab use only)
- USB hubs
To request equipment, please complete our Equipment Rental Form.
Please note that equipment at the User Research Center is only to be used for long-term usability/accessibility-related projects and not for personal use or unrelated student work. If you need to borrow equipment for personal/short-term usage, please check out Harvard Library's Multimedia Resources & Computers page here: http://hcl.harvard.edu/info/equipment/
The default loan period for equipment is two weeks. If you are interested in a longer term loan, please indicate this in the Additional Notes section at the bottom of the Equipment Rental Form.
Once you have submitted your equipment request through the Equipment Rental Form, it will be reviewed by the User Research Center team. You will receive an email from the team typically within 1 business day regarding your request.
Equipment must be picked up and returned during the User Research Center's hours. We are open 9:00AM–5:00PM, Monday through Friday.